City Creek became the first water source utilized by Mormon settlers after coming to the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. It also supplied irrigation water for the settlers' gardens. Some of the earliest gristmills were built along the creek. By 1866 City Creek water became the source for Salt Lake City's piped water system. Nearly a century later the city's first water treatment plant was built three miles up City Creek Canyon.
Currently, the creek and the canyon have become a major urban recreational area for the citizens of Salt Lake City. Walkers, runners and bikers make great use of City Creek Canyon Road for exercise, and others utilize the numerous picnic areas throughout the canyon. Dogs are allowed in the canyon as far as the water treatment plant marking. The watershed is protected by the city beginning at the treatment plant and extending north and east, connecting with the protected watershed established for Parley's Creek. The creek 's water flow ranges from 7 cubic feet per second (cfs) in the winter to 45 cfs at the peak of runoff in late spring.
Memory Grove Park